COVID-19 as coined by WHO is an infectious disease caused by the Coronavirus. The symptoms include the following:
3. Dry cough
4. Aches and pains
5. Nasal congestion
7. Runny nose
8. Sore throat
10. Difficulty in breathing
Many people are infected but do not show symptoms, while some develop mild symptoms (1 – 9 above). The elderly and those with underlying health conditions such as heart diseases, diabetes mellitus and high blood pressure may be more vulnerable and develop serious symptoms including difficulty in breathing and even death.
The virus can spread through person-to-person contact:
• Droplets from nose and mouth (exhalation, coughing, sneezing) directly.
• In droplets on object or surfaces introduced into the eye, nose or mouth.
The Management of NHIS is concerned with the health of its staff, their families and Nigerians in general. It therefore wishes to issue the following guidelines for NHIS staff, in line with directives of the Government of Nigeria, its agencies and the recommendations of WHO:
1. All non-essential staff from grade levels 1 – 12 are to compulsorily stay and work from home until further notice.
2. Wash your hands frequently with running water and soap for at least 10 – 20 seconds
3. Endeavour not to touch your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
4. Endeavour to cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of the used tissue immediately and appropriately.
5. Limit the number of visitors to very essential ones.
6. All staff to reduce non-essential visits even outside office hours; avoid every gathering as much as possible.
7. Maintain social distancing of up to 2 meters while in a gathering.
8. Ensure the use of infrared temperature devices provided at all NHIS offices nationwide.
9. Ensure the use of hand sanitizers and facial masks provided at all NHIS offices nationwide
10. Clean surfaces with disinfectants frequently.
11. Officers who have recently travelled outside the Country should self-isolate from
the office for at least 2 weeks and inform Human Resources and Administration Department, appropriately.
12. Staff to abide by the directives of their host State Governments concerning stay and work from home.
13. In States where complete lockdown is declared, NHIS offices are to comply with the directives.
14. Staff with any of the indicated symptoms, especially those who have travelled outside the Country recently, or have had close contact with persons confirmed for
COVID-19 should self-report to NCDC on 0800970000 – 10.
15. In view of the current situation, all enrolment services are suspended till further notice. However, all NHIS contact centre numbers should be kept functional at this time and enrollees should be advised to make use of them.
16. All staff are mandated to keep themselves updated on COVID-19 regularly by visiting https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019,
www.nhis.gov.ng, https://ncdc.gov.ng/ and http://www.health.gov.ng/.
1. For purpose of clarity and in view of current circumstances, essential staff in NHIS
include the following:
a. Staff in the Office of Executive Secretary.
b. Staff in the Office of Heads of Departments (HoDs), Statutory Divisions, Zonal and State Coordinators.
c. Staff of the Registry in the Headquarters.
d. Plant Operators, Drivers of HoDs and Staff Buses.
e. ICT staff responsible for maintaining the Enrollee Database and other network resources.
2. This guideline is subject to review as the situation unfolds.